The Medicinal Forest Garden Handbook *Preorder now, available from April 2020*
An extensive handbook with practical information on growing, harvesting and using medicinal trees and shrubs sustainably in a temperate climate, whether for self-sufficiency or profit.
An extensive handbook full of practical information on growing, harvesting and using medicinal trees and shrubs sustainably in a temperate climate, whether for self-sufficiency or profit.
Author, Anne Stobart draws on her direct experience of creating a medicinal forest garden in the UK to provide supplies for herbal medicine in practice. She provides advice on the design of new planting projects which can meet the needs of different users from small gardens to smallholdings and agroforestry. Includes:
- How medicinal trees can contribute to health and environment
- Practical advice on designing with medicinal trees and shrubs using permaculture principles, alongside their establishment and propagation
- Combinations of woody and other layers of medicinal plants suitable for creating a medicinal forest garden or inclusion in other growing projects
- Management for a sustainable harvest including coppicing and pollarding of medicinal trees and shrubs
- Key medicinal constituents of woody plants and research studies into their effects
- How to harvest and preserve products from medicinal trees and shrubs effectively
- Recipes for making a range of herbal health care products
- Detailed monographs on medicinal trees and shrubs, providing fully referenced information about their medicinal potential and uses alongside cultivation and harvest details.
“The Medicinal Forest Garden is full of hope and inspiration. It lays out the methods for multi-layered forest farming and natural healing that will serve us long into the future. It offers gem after gem of practical insight into the healing wisdom of the herbal tradition – and how you can grow then and care for yourself, your loved ones and the world around, one tree at a time. All gleamed from Anne’s experience as a Medical Herbalist and an expert in permaculture – its both practical and visionary.” Sebastian Pole, Master Herbsmith and co-founder of Pukka Herbs
|Book title||The Medicinal Forest Garden Handbook: Growing, harvesting and using healing trees and shrubs in a temperate climate|